Tuesday, September 2, 2008

New Year, New Students, New Testament


A NEW school year began for our local schools a few weeks ago. With that beginning came the start of a NEW year of early morning Seminary. For me, that means two dozen NEW students and a NEW course of study: the NEW Testament. It has also meant a NEW location – our NEW chapel on Scholar Way in Folsom.

The New Testament’s detailed account of Christ’s life and ministry is a clear call into a newness of life. Questions often serve to amplify that call in our minds and hearts. One such question, as we discussed the Plan of Salvation during our first week of study, was “What has Christ done for me on my path to salvation?”

“If it were not for Christ there would be no Plan of Salvation, so when He came to earth and died for us, He made it possible for me to go back to heaven again. He also helps us every day with the little things. I pray like 24/7 and He always is there for me.”
Ashlee Northrop

“He died for my sins. He’s also put obstacles in my life to help me grow and become stronger and want to be more like Him.”
Alyssa McPeak

“Christ has done everything for me by giving me the ultimate gift: the Atonement.”
Kenny Faulk

The first chapter of John includes several powerful images that represent the Savior and His role in our lives. From John 1:5 comes this thought provoking statement: “And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehendeth it not.” Students recorded their thoughts on these questions: “How does the world get in the way of my comprehension of the light? How can I move the world out of the way?”

“The world gets in the way of my comprehension of the light because we live in the world. The things of the world are all around us and they sometimes get in the way of our Savior and His light. It only is covered because I accept the things of the world into my life. I can move the world out of the way by not doing the things of the world, but by doing spiritual things that will let the light of Christ shine in my life. Be in the world, but not of the world.”
Britanie Kersey

“Sometimes the world seems to fog my vision of the light in the way that the media portrays the ideal woman and makes me feel inferior rather than realize I’m a divine daughter of God. The influence that the media has blocks my remembrance to turn to the Savior. In this case, it’s not really a matter of moving the world, but moving myself and stepping into the Light.”
Kristy Brizee

Today we studied John 4 and 5. In chapter 5 Jesus heals a man at the pool of Bethesda on the Sabbath. The Jews, unimpressed by the miracle, persecuted Jesus for violating their rules for Sabbath day observance. Christ was undaunted and boldly shared the good news with them, in spite of their criticism. A member of our class wrote, “What are some ways I can share the gospel outside my comfort zone?” And here are several answers:

“Plant little seeds. You don’t have to give every detail of the gospel to your friends right away. Take time to share certain key principles of the gospel until they are ready to hear everything. Be an example.”
Courtney Anderson

“Talk to your friends about it if you feel ready. It’s good to exercise your testimony by strongly expressing your standards. It also may help your friend’s life later down the road.”
Jenna Hamzawi

“Become more comfortable with the gospel. Learn of Him, draw closer to Him.”
Jourdan Satterfield

“Invite people to church and activities.”
Jenn Gibson

“I think that a lot of times we feel uncomfortable sharing the gospel because either we are afraid of others’ reaction or we don’t have confidence in ourselves. I think the best way to overcome this fear is to put our trust in God and turn to Him. He can give you that confidence to step out of your comfort zone and He will bless you for your diligence and willingness.”
Kristy Brizee

After studying Jesus’ experience with the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4), and noting the woman’s initial confusion about receiving the “living water” Christ had to offer, another class member asked:
“How can I prepare myself to receive a gift from God?”

A few students were thinking along the same lines when they answered:
“You make yourself spiritually clean through righteous doing.”
Brandon Stauffer

“We wonder why we sometimes don’t receive gifts. It’s because we aren’t worthy, or deserving of gifts because of the lifestyles we lead.”
Dan Moreno

“Pray, read scriptures and keep the commandments.”
Alyssa McPeak

It’s true that our works are often evidence of our faith or lack thereof (see James 2:17-18). But sometimes our hearts are ready for change, in spite of current behavior. The Lord knew the Samaritan woman was living in sin – and He still offered her living water. Clearly He could see that her questions were sincere – that she was willing to believe and really wanted to receive what He offered her.

“I can prepare to receive a gift from God by praying and drawing closer to my Savior.”
Lindsey Kubo

“I can be worthy to do things like go to the temple and receive my endowments and blessings. I can also be humble and grateful for all I have so I don’t miss any of the blessings I might receive. I can also do service for others.”
Jocelyn Matthews

One brutally honest student expressed his desires a little differently this morning.

“I don’t wanna go to school or work today. I just wanna sleep and eat because I’m hungry. I want Denny’s and I want to go to Disneyland because it’s the happiest place on earth.”
Trenton Jones

I think Trent may have articulated our common ground with the woman of Samaria pretty well. We are tired of our routines. We yearn for rest, nourishment and happiness. Christ offered her all of that. And He offers us the same!

I’m grateful for new students and for the fresh perspective they bring as we strive together to understand and accept all the Lord has to offer us.

No comments: