Sunday, June 8, 2008

Messages from Malachi

Our final week of Seminary seems a distant memory... but it was only two weeks ago we concluded our two semester study of the Old Testament. The final book in this volume of scripture contains the writings of the prophet Malachi. He taught of tithing, the Lord's Second Coming and of the linking of eternal families, among other things. Below are samples of the students' responses to my questions/instructions regarding these messages from Malachi:

Give an example of the Lord blessing you and/or your family temporally or spiritually. How is this blessing connected to the payment of tithing?

The Lord has blessed my family in time of financial hardship; even though paying tithing seems unreasonable, it ends up helping us out. Tyler Kroff

We have a house and food and clothing because we are granted life's necessities as a blessing of tithing. Ryan Palmer

Yesterday I had to pick up a prescription because you're not supposed to miss a day of meds or it'll mess up your body. So I went, not knowing how much money it would be and I had the exact amount of cash in my wallet. No more, no less. Deanna Newell

Tell something you've done to prepare for the Lord's Second Coming that has minimized your fears and increased your faith & sense of peace.

I've tried to surround myself with friends that have a good influence on me. I always know that I can count on them for good advice. Tyler Kroff

I have sought the wisdom of the Lord and I have immersed myself in His spirit through daily prayer, through righteous acts and through exemplification of a charitable being. I have gained my faith. I know that He will come. I will be ready. Ryan Palmer

I try very hard to read my scriptures and have personal prayer almost every night. Tyler Robinson

I have gained a testimony of Jesus Christ, His life and His sacrifice for all of us. Deanna Newell

Write a short letter to your parents and ancestors expressing your love and gratitude to them.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Thank you so much for always being there for me when I need you, and for helping me through the rough times. Tyler Kroff

Thank you for preparing the way for me and others who may not have otherwise found the gospel. We have been blessed beyond measure because of the choices that you have made. You have set the example and created the traditions that are sacred and eternal. Ryan Palmer

Dear Mom and Dad and old people,
You guys are great. Thanks Mom for birthing me because without you I wouldn't be here. I'm so glad I was put into your family. You guys are so great. Tyler Robinson

Dear Momma and Dad,
Words can't express how grateful I am for you and your love. You are always there for me with support. Recently I finally realized that you truly do your best to support me in all that I do, but certain things have skewed my vision and all I saw was my mistakes. I'm working on that. Thank you. Thank you for never giving up on me. I realize that I was a difficult child to raise, especially as a teenager. You did your best. You taught me a lot. Deanna Newell

I hope I can make you proud. Thanks for watching over me. Anonymous

Write a short letter to your future children and posterity, sharing with them one or two things you want them to know about their Savior.

Dear children,
I want you to know that the Savior will always be there for you. If you need anything, pray and ask for it sincerely. Don't let the Savior down. Do good and choose the right. Tyler Kroff

Dear Posterity,
You guys are going to be very cute and talented and, by the way, Jesus is really cool. He saved us and He made it so we can repent. Tyler Robinson

To Future Posterity,
Believe in the Savior. Anonymous

I want you all to know that you are all loved unconditionally by the Savior and me. He died so that we might live again; but not only that we might live, but that we might live eternally in the presence of God. The Atonement opens the door to our eternal family. Through our repentance and His sacrifice we may create powerful covenants and attachments that can never be broken against our will. Be worthy, and repent, for I do not want to lose any one of you. We will live together forever, the fulfillment of eternal joy. Ryan Palmer

No comments: