Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Who's teaching who?

I often find the roles of teacher and student are reversed when my students share their thoughts in class or in their journals. Here are a some gems from the last few weeks:

September 16 -

How do I feel when I have been forgiven of the Lord?
I feel peace. There is a moment where I feel everything in the world is at peace and that through Christ our Savior, anything is possible. - Brandon Stauffer

I feel clean, as though I re-entered the waters of baptism and felt the cleansing powers of my Father in Heaven. I feel loved. - Jourdan Satterfield

Whenever I feel that I have been completely forgiven by the Lord, it's a feeling that I could never describe, completely. I feel a happiness that is extraordinary and a warmth that surrounds me. - Christina Wood

When I've been forgiven I feel refreshed and purified. Christ's atoning sacrifice reassures me to drop to my knees and pray. I feel like I can leave my sins at Jesus' feet and He will take care of the rest. - Lindsey Kubo

September 18 -

Sometimes sins we transgress can be heavy burdens. We get tied in the trap they catch us in. Repenting to the Lord or the Bishop is like the Savior lifting our burdens. Christ offers us the yoke of righteousness. - Dan Moreno

The heavy burdens I carry are of every day stresses and preparing for the future. The Savior lifts my burdens by bringing me peace in my heart and soul. He knows my burdens and if I trust in him he will show me how to make them light. Christ offers us His light and easy yoke because He knows us individually and can help us. His atonement is His yoke for us to have an easier life without sin. - Britanie Kersey

September 23 -

After studying several of Christ's parables, I had the students write parables of their own. Among those parables were the "food parable," the "parable of the pizza," the "parable of the magical cheez-its," ... I think the students were extra hungry that morning ... but one of the most inspired was the "parable of the iPod":
The gospel is like unto an iPod. Those with good headphones will hear the music in the iPod. Those with bad headphones can't hear the music. If you download your song/gospel from a bad source like limewire, it won't be as good as if you download from iTunes. - Dan and Brandon

September 24 -

When and how have you felt the Savior's calming influence in your life?
Other people's testimonies always make me feel the Savior's spirit. I love learning through other people's experiences. - Jenn Gibson

I've felt the Savior's calming influence at church, through other people's talks and testimonies. - Alyssa McPeak

I haven't had many storms in my life, but one occurred last summer when my grandpa died. I was devastated because I loved him very much and would miss him. However, one of the dominant characteristics of my grandfather was his love of the gospel. I knew that he was in Paradise having a wonderful time, and the Plan of Salvation helped lessen the pain intensely. I still miss him, but the Lord has helped me accept it and move on, looking forward to the day I will see him again. - Amy McGreevy

I realize that everyone experiences ups and downs, but at this particular time in my life I was feeling low, depressed and simply miserable. It was like being lost in a dark tunnel without seeing any sign of light whatsoever. I thought there was no way to see the light again, until I felt an overwhelming power wash over me - my Savior's love. I realized I didn't have to be alone in my trial. He rescued me when I thought there was no hope left. He stood by my side and never gave up on me.
- Kristy Brizee

October 1 -

Whom say ye that Christ is?
The Savior of the world, a brother, a friend - Kristy Brizee

Christ is my Savior and Redeemer and brother. He has unimaginable knowledge of and faith in the Gospel, and therefore limitless power. - Amy McGreevy

Jesus is not only my rock, my Redeemer, my ultimate example - He is also my brother and my best friend. I am eternally indebted to Him and I can't wait to live with Him forever. Throughout my life He has been giving me "spiritual" hugs and I can't wait to give Him a real hug back. - Jocelyn Matthews

Christ is the rock of my salvation and the foundation for my life. - Courtney Anderson

Christ is my best friend. He is my rock and my Redeemer. He is eternal life and the light of the world. - Lindsey Kubo

Christ is my Savior, my Redeemer. He is my everything because without Him I could not live again, or have a body of flesh and bones. Sometimes I think I can know Him better. I want to know him. - Jourdan Satterfield

Christ is the Son of God. He is our Savior and Redeemer. He died for all of us and He sacrificed His life for His Father. He atoned for all of our sins, so that we can repent and become clean to return to our Heavenly Father again. - Britanie Kersey

Christ is my salvation, my Savior, my Shepherd, my closest friend, my psychologist, my Comforter, the Ultimate Forgiver. - Jenna Hamzawi


No comments: