Thursday, May 1, 2008

Surviving the Fiery Furnace


Recorded in the third chapter of "Daniel" is a remarkable account of three of the most devout young men in scripture. Having refused to worship the image of Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar, they were given an ultimatum: bow down to the idol or face death in a fiery furnace. The late Elder Neal A. Maxwell of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles had this to say about their bold refusal to put anything or anyone before God:
"Regarding trials, including of our faith and patience, there are no exemptions - only variations (see Mosiah 23:21)... the faithful will not be totally immune from the events on this planet. Thus the courageous attitudes of imperiled Shadrach, Mesach, and Abed-nego are worthy of emulation. They knew that God could rescue them. 'But if not,' they vowed, they would still serve God anyway (see Daniel 3:16-18). Similarly, keeping the unfashionable but imperative first and seventh commandments can reflect the courage which three young women displayed anciently; they said no with their lives (see Abraham 1:11)." Conference Report Oct. 2002

So whether we are rescued in the fire or following it, we feel the Lord's saving presence and power in our lives. How is He with us in our "fiery trials?"

Annalisa - He helps me as much as I come to Him. If I put all my faith in Him, He comforts me and blesses me with hope.

Connor - I would just say that His teachings are with me. The Holy Ghost is with me, and I know His angels are with me when I go through trials.

Tyler R. - He stays with me whenever I'm doing something that's hard for me.

Brendon - The Lord has been awesome: every time I've gotten myself into a really difficult situation, and I give myself up to Him to make things right, He always comes through somehow.

Bethany - He's made sure I'm able to withstand whatever it is. He's helped me learn from whatever it is I've messed up on.

Ryan R. - He gives you his spirit. He makes it so you never have to face a trial you can't handle. He gives you help in the form of friends or family in the very moment you need them.

Erik - He prompts you with what to do and maybe what to say during that specific trial. He also will make you stronger in the belief that you can withstand that trial.

Ryan P. - The Lord is there with me during my fiery trials by ensuring that I never have to withstand heat that is greater than my strength to resist. He does not take away my trials, but He allows me to fortify my faith and conviction to the height of my potential.

Whether I am called upon to live for the Lord or die for Him, I know He lives for me! I know He died for me! My faith is fortified as I hear and see the faith of young Latter-day Christians who recognize the Redeemer's saving presence in their lives.

No comments: