Thursday, May 8, 2008

Principles and Prophets


After studying the more extensive writings of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel, we turned this week to the writings of "minor prophets" such as Hosea, Joel and Amos (referred to as "minor prophets" only because their writings are shorter). We have yet to study several more. Why so many prophets? Amos 3:7 reveals the Lord's pattern in dealing with us:
"Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets."

Today's journaling assignment was to identify a prophet, ancient or modern, a principle he taught, and to describe how that principle had made a difference in our lives.

Not every student responded, and of those who did, not all responded appropriately. I have come to expect that from time to time. These students are great people. But they ARE people. Sarcasm, apathy, pride ... creep into our way of being and thinking, and into our exchanges in class sometimes. Unfortunately, we don't always live up to our privileges, when it comes to inviting the Spirit to direct what we say and do.

On this theme of not always getting it right, Bethany found Solomon's life and teachings instructive: "Solomon made bad choices in his life, but at one time he was a spiritual giant. He wrote Proverbs, a beautiful piece of work. When I was younger, my mom told me to read Proverbs. I don't remember why she told me to, but I still remember the peace [Solomon's] words instilled. Proverbs 1:10 says 'If sinners entice thee, consent thou not.' I've consented plenty of times, but I have hope and the ability to repent. God truly wants me to succeed."

Michael reminded us that Noah also taught repentance. Michael states, "I know that I can be forgiven for any sins that I have done. His story also shows what happens when sinners don't repent and I don't want to drown in a flood."

"Samuel taught meekness and lowliness and that is how he chose David as king of Israel," observed Chad, adding that this principle had helped him temper his pride and keep him "willing to try and learn new things."

A prophet who was willing to try and DO new things was Nephi. Erik wrote that Nephi's faith had helped him learn "that by trusting in the Lord we can do incredible things."

Ryan Palmer appreciated Moses' lesson on the value of life: "Thou shalt not kill," while Stephanie celebrated a statement on life by President Gordon B. Hinckley: "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." She elaborated, "This has made a difference in my life because there are some points in my life where I am just enduring it but now I know that everything in life should be enjoyed."


Another student impacted by Gordon B. Hinckley was Brandon: "When he was a prophet there were a lot of temples built. Now I can go visit these temples and someday I'll be married in one of them." I love Brandon's commitment to the principles of temple worship and eternal marriage!

Seeing the Biblical pattern of prophets restored in modern times is a great witness to me of the divinity of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Each prophet and each principle invites us to look to Christ. From ancient prophets to those of the Restoration, including our present-day prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, prophets are a vital link between God and His people. If we would know God's "secrets," we must listen to and follow His prophets. Like the Savior, who sought only to do the will of the Father, prophets seek to serve and testify of their Lord and Master. Each principle they teach invites us to do the same.

1 comment:

momofztrd said...

I am so glad that their are youth today that are interested in going to seminary!!!
My favorite prophet is Howard W. Hunter. He wasn't the prophet for very long, but his counsel about being a "Temple attending people" was an answer to prayer. I am richly blessed by the opportunity I have to serve in the Temple and I know that my family is blessed too.