Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tears and Cheers

The book of Lamentations, generally attributed to the prophet Jeremiah, is filled with vivid images of sorrow and destruction. These five short chapters contain "a world of hurt." But they also contain hope! (See Lamentations 3:22-26) After our discussion today, the students completed the following sentences: "I am sad when..." and "I delight in..." Some responses are deeper than others, but each is an affirmation that "opposition in all things" is a part of our mortal experience, and that familiarity with sadness makes it easier to delight in what is good. The same Savior who lamented Jerusalem's reluctance to gather to Him (Matthew 23:37)wept tears of joy over the faithfulness of the Nephites (3 Nephi 17:20-22). You may recognize, as I did, that a number of these students are saddened by some of the same things that sadden the Lord, or delighted by those things that please Him.

I’m sad when bad things happen to me or people I care about.
I delight in doing what I love: singing – music in general.
TYLER ROBINSON


I am sad when there is contention in my family. I’m sad when I see others suffering because of decisions they’ve made.
I delight in good jokes. I delight in art and music. I delight in people helping others.
DEANNA NEWELL












I am sad when I get in fights with people.
I delight in laughing.
SARA EGGERS












I’m sad when:
-people are mean.
-I make bad decisions.
I delight in:
-Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father and the Holy Ghost.
-my family.
ANNALISA HEYLEN












I’m sad when…
· there’s no more ice cream in the freezer.
· when I have to do school work instead of obtaining much needed sleep.
I’m happy when …
· I get to check off another day to when school gets out.
· I chill with my El Dorado friends, particularly from “Ione.”
CHAD SELLERS


I am sad when sad things happen.
I delight in delightful things in which are delightful.
SAM HOLDEN













I’m sad when people die.
I delight in happiness.
MICHAEL GETZ












I’m sad when…
…I have to go to school.
…people I love turn away from the Lord.
…I fail to remember to look to the Lord.
I delight in…
…laughter and friendship.
…the salvation of mankind.
RYAN PALMER


I’m sad when…
- friends don’t go to church.
- tithing is not paid.
- I forget to do church stuff.
I delight in …
- taking the Sacrament to old people.
- good things.
BRENDON CARPENTER









Silent on today's subject were:
ANNIE JACKSON


TYLER KROFF













STEPHANIE ALLRED












RYAN REYNOLDS


BETHANY MATHIS













ERIK LARSON












BRANDON MECHAM


CONNOR CARPENTER

No comments: