Tuesday, March 25, 2008

New Life in the Old Testament


Our course of study this year in Seminary has been the Old Testament (and sections of the Pearl of Great Price). I’ve read the Old Testament before, but never with the intensity of this year’s experience. It has been edifying to see the way that Christ is present in every symbol, every sacrifice and in the witness of every ancient prophet. Even though the people didn’t always recognize Jehovah as the future Messiah, His love and mercy was continually extended toward them. Do we recognize His love and mercy toward us, even when we fail to recognize Him or put Him first in our lives? It’s easy to point the finger at the children of Israel, but we are just as prone to idolatry, in our way, as they were.

We don’t offer animal sacrifices any more, but there is so much rich symbolism in that Old Testament experience that points to the ultimate sacrifice of our Savior. The ancient tabernacle and early temples were the sites of much of that sacrifice, just as modern temples focus our attention on Christ’s infinite and atoning sacrifice. I love the patterns of that first testament being repeated in Christ’s day and again in ours.

No one testifies more powerfully of Christ in the Old Testament than Isaiah. As we conclude our study of his writings this week, I add my voice to his in declaring that Christ has certainly “borne [my] griefs, and carried [my] sorrows… he was wounded for [my] transgressions… and with his stripes [I] am healed.” (Isaiah 53:4-5) I love Isaiah's comforting reminder that no matter how often, or how profoundly I mess up, the Savior's atonement makes it possible for me to repent and begin again. "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord; though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." (Isaiah 1:18) For me, there is definitely new life in the Old Testament!

No comments: